Gratitude Journal | How to Jumpstart a Healthy Lifestyle

2.27.2015

Credit // Pixabay


When I started working with my friend/health and wellness coach she asked me to start writing down a few things each day (morning and night) that I am grateful for. It was such a small step on my journey to living a healthier, more balanced lifestyle that I couldn't even begin to imagine how much of an impact it would have on my outlook of life. 

I always felt grateful for the life I led; my family, a roof over my head, food to eat, clothes to wear, and so on. While I knew to always count my blessings, I had been getting caught up in negative thoughts which was subsequently reflected in my mood and attitude. I was in the middle of battling depression and frequent anxiety attacks; I was extremely pessimistic and quick to anger. I wasn't myself. I wasn't happy.

It wasn't until I started working with "Lucy" that I started to understand I needed to change my way of thinking.

Lucy gave me a simple task to jump start my new life. She told me to write down three things in the morning and three things in the evening that I was grateful for. That night I found a notebook at home, dubbed it my gratitude journal, and threw it in my tote bag to take to work.

The next morning I parked the car in my usual location and began the long trek up the hill to work. I couldn't help but notice my surroundings. I felt as if I had a heightened sense of awareness of the world around me. In the early hours of the morning I typically focused my attention on my lack of energy, my problems, and the long day ahead. On this particular morning I noticed the beautiful orange, pink, and purple colors of the sunrise. It was a warm, comforting feeling. I was in awe of its beauty. I couldn't help but think this was a metaphor for my new beginning...

When I got settled in at work that sunrise was the first item on my gratitude list. 

For those of you that need a new beginning, need to remind yourselves of life's blessings, or just need somewhere to start on your journey to a healthier lifestyle, I encourage you to take the first step and create a gratitude journal. Focus on three moments of gratitude in the morning and three in the evening. These can be major or minor moments. Something as simple as the sunrise, or something as significant as a job promotion. Anything to remind yourself of the great privilege it is to be alive.

So go on, grab yourself a notebook and a pen and begin your journey to a healthier, more positive life; sit back and watch as you see the world around you in a different light.

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground